Dear all,

I am doing some wireless network (802.11a, b, e) simulation by NS2 at present.
My main task is to analyse and simulate a modified 802.11 MAC layer which
supports 2-hop relaying to optimize network performance. After reading the
documents and the paper which written by the people who has already done some
similar project in IP layer, there are still several issues I am not quite
sure, could anyone else give me some hint?

1. I am still a little bit unclear about how to simulate the  802.11 MAC layer
by using NS2, in another word, how can we differentiate the simulation between
IP layer and MAC layer?

2. Since my task is to analyse the network performance via 2-hop relay, may  I
know how can we make sure there is exactly one relay between the source and
the destination? Say, in one of my scenarios, there are lots of nodes in the
grid (one of them is the AP), there might be lots of nodes between the source
node and the AP whilst the source node sends packet to the AP, how can we make
sure there is only one node between them to act as a relay to forward the
packet from the source to the AP?

Any suggestions and comments will be grealy appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jackie