You have to understand that not everyone has the same requirements you
have. Very few ppl would need a complete and rigorous implementation
of FTP in NS. Many don't even care if it is FTP at all... they just
want to drive a continuous flow of tcp traffic through the simulated
scenario. When you do some simulations, you do not need to implement
everything, you just need to figure out what is important for your
studies.

There's two things that come to mind that you could probably do.
1) adapt a free implementation of FTP to a new Application/FTP source and sink
2) use real FTP traffic (NS2 can be made to bridge between two real
life FTP applications).
I'm not saying that those are easy to accomplish, but they are
certainly feasible.

As for the unmaintainability of NS, I share your concerns, but there's
nothing we can do except to contribute. That's the spirit of
open-source. In the meanwhile, NS3 is being planed and will be
available some day.

Best Regards,
Pedro Fortuna
INESC Porto