If you plug the values in the formula

PER=1-(1-0.001)^8000 = 0.9996658

The above result implies that 99.96% of you packets will have errors and
if there are no additional error correction mechanisms, they will be
dropped/lost. A BER of 10^-3 is too high and is not practical. For
example, in most wireless scenarios, the BER is assumed to be 10^-6.

By the way, why are you posting this in ns-users list?

Abdul.