Hi,

I'm very new to Nam, so forgive me if some of these
questions sound stupid.

First off, if I create a network using Nam in which
there is a TCP entity as a source, with another TCP
entity as the sink, in which the source TCP entity has
an FTP session on it, if I try to set the start or
stop times for FTP and apply them, Nam coredumps with
a segfault.

I am moderately sure this is not part of the design,
and segfaulting is probably not the intended result,
but I'm unsure if this is an untrapped error where I'm
configuring something incorrectly, or an incorrect
understanding on my part on how the connections need
to be set up.

The second problem is with multicasting. I need to be
able to simulate multicasting, I know NS supports it,
but I can't find an option in Nam to enable it for the
model. Is this something I have to manually insert
after designing the system under Nam, or am I missing
something in the use of Nam?

To go along with that, although I can see unicast UDP
as a transport type, I don't see multicast UDP or
group membership listed. Are these present but not
visible until multicast is enabled for the model, or
is Nam strictly an editor for a well-defined subset of
NS features?

I guess that, for this to make much sense, I need to
say that the network I am trying to simulate contains
a segment that is both unidirectional and complete,
and must provide routing to prevent loops. The
remaining network segments, connected to this Grand
Central Junction, are all relatively simple but must
be able to start/stop other network segments by means
of xon/xoff signals.

What I am looking for, specifically, is the best
editor that I can use to describe such a system in NS'
syntax, and a recommended method of doing the rest (NS
scripting, C++ modules, etc.)

Any suggestions, recommendations, or even examples of
existing NS models which do more-or-less what I want,
would be gratefully received.

Jonathan Day