Check the output file.  I found that the validate scripts sometimes use
options on commands that have not be verified on the workstation.
In my case, I was running it in a limited function machine that didn't have
a lot of utilities.  I wasn't running bash as sh, didn't have
diff,cmp,gzip or perl
and if I did have them the options that the validate script used my utilities
did support.