I guess, there is a bug in the condition for Handoff Attempt in
mac/mac-802_11.cc

*_Abstract:_*
   A possible bug in ns 2:

   *        Version : *ns-2.33*
   *        File: <ns-2.33>/mac/*mac-802_11.cc*
   *        Place: *Condition for Handoff Attempt in  RetransmitDATA()
     function*
   * *      *Brief: *It calls for Handoff even in Non Infrastructure
     (Ad Hoc) mode
     *

_*Details:*_

Presently the handoff is attempted after 3 number of failures. The
snippet is shown below:

/*********************** Current Code Snippet ************************
>  *if (*rcount == 3 && handoff == 0)* {
>                 //start handoff process
>                 printf("Client %d: Handoff Attempted\n",index_);
>                 associated = 0;
>                 authenticated = 0;
>                 handoff = 1;
>                 ScanType_ = ACTIVE;
>                 sendPROBEREQ(MAC_BROADCAST);
>                 return;
>         }

As observed during simulation runs, even in case of ad hoc scenarios
(without APs) a node attempts for Handoff, viz., it configures a Probe
Request and goes to start the Backoff timer.

The correction is trivial as shown below. We have to just include the
condition for the existence of infra structure mode.

/****** Modification Suggested ***************************/
>  if (*infra_mode_ *&& *rcount == 3 && handoff == 0) {
>                 //start handoff process
>                 printf("Client %d: Handoff Attempted\n",index_);
>                 associated = 0;
>                 authenticated = 0;
>                 handoff = 1;
>                 ScanType_ = ACTIVE;
>                 sendPROBEREQ(MAC_BROADCAST);
>                 return;
>         }
Suggestions and Comments are welcome, I doubt myself, as no body has so
far dictated this simple observation.

regards,
Mayur