OK,

I suppose a wired network (if you want to do this in a wireless net,
read this tutorial:
<http://masimum.dif.um.es/nsrt-howto/pdf/nsrt-howto.pdf>).

Any node receives a packet in the network layer by a method called RECV().

recv() decides what to do with the received packet. So the main
parameter is the packet pointer itself. It reads the headers and
decides discard that packet, forward it or send to upper layers. This
is what a routing protocol does. In a choosed protocol, in the code
fragment where It decides to forward a packet, change the code and add
your packet manipulation.

Sidney Doria
UFCG / BRAZIL