Hello.

I am working on incorporating some MAC functionalities from the 802.11e
standard and later based on this some ideas from the 802.11s draft into
ns-2 (version 2.34) for my thesis.
After some analysis I thought that the new 802.11 MAC (found in
mac-802_11Ext) should be a good basis and the authors consider their
modular design to be easily extendable. However, simply extending the
classes via inheritance seems impossible because most of the member
variables and methods are declared private and I didn't want to touch the
original files. I also guess that there is a reason for making them
private in the first place, I just don't see it.

So far, the only choices I see are either changing the original file
(which I don't want to), use inheritance but reimplement (copy) a lot of
the former code to have it again accessible in the child classes or make a
copy of the original files and adjust them to my needs. I'm leaning
towards the last one but it still doesn't feel right. Is there a better
way to do this?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Karsten