The Network Simulator ns-2: Frequently Asked Questions

Note:  This FAQ is now available at the project wiki:
http://nsnam.isi.edu/nsnam/index.php/Ns_Users_FAQ

   _The mailing is is now subscriber only---please see the FAQ entry on
   "How do I post to the mailing list? Why was my post rejected?" for
   details._

     * _Where do I get ns?_

       From the ns web site at http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns.html and
       the download page http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-tests.html.

     * _What platforms does ns run on and what kind of hardware do I
       need?_

       Please see "where to start" on the building ns web page:
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-build.html#start.

     * _What should I do if I have trouble downloading/extracting ns?_

       This question is answered in detail at
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html#downloading.

     * _What should I do if I encounter problems building ns?_

       Check:
         1. the README that comes in the distribution (very brief),
         2. the "installation problems, bug fixes and help" web page
            http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html,
         3. the archives of the ns-users mailing list
            http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html,
         4. post a bug report (see below)
            http://www.isi.edu/cgi-bin/nsnam/reportbug.cgi.

     * _What do I do after I successfully build ns?_

          + Put the path to your ns executable into your PATH environment
          + Put the path to your otcl into your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
            environment
          + Put the path to your tcl library into your TCL_LIBRARY
            environment

     * _Where can I find documentation for ns?_

       All documentation is linked from the main ns web page
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/. Documentation includes a tutorial
       (originally from Marc Greis) and a reference manual (ns notes and
       documentation).

     * _Words, words, words... that documentation is nice, but where are
       some sample scripts I can start from?_

       Many sample scripts can be found in the ns distribution in
       ~ns-2/tcl/ex and ~ns-2/tcl/test.

     * _What protocols does ns support?_

       A lot! Almost all variants of TCP, several forms of multicast,
       wired networking, several ad hoc routing protocols and propagation
       models (but not cellular phones), data diffusion, satellite, and
       other stuff. See the documentation (described above) for details,
       or download ns and look.

     * _How do I know that ns correctly implements these protocols?_

       Ns has validation tests that cover many protocols, see
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-tests.html. However, ultimately
       users are responsible for verifying that ns is accurate for their
       purposes---since we cannot foresee all the ways ns may be used, we
       cannot test all cases with all inputs.

     * _Are there any contributed/additional protocols not in the main
       distribution?_

       Yes, please see the contributed code web page
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-contributed.html. The mailing list
       archives can also be helpful (see below).

     * _How should I get started doing something (like implementing a new
       protocol or trying an experiment)?_

       We recommend that you look through the tutorial (see
       documentation, above), then start with an example program that is
       most similar to yours (in the tutorial, or in tcl/ex or tcl/test
       in the distribution), and then start changing things.

     * _What should I do to compile ns to reflect my changes if I've
       modified some .cc or .h files?_

       go to ns directory and run "make" or "make depend; make"

     * _How do I subscribe to the ns-users mailing list? How do I search
       old list archives? I can't take any more---how do I get off this
       list?_

       To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html. The list archive is at
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html.

     * _How do I post to the mailing list? Why was my post rejected?_

       As of June 2004 the ns-users lists allow posts from _subscriber
       only_. If you're not a subscriber, your posts to the list will be
       rejected. (This is unfortunately necessary to dispose efficiently
       of spam; manual filtering is too expensive.) We realize that the
       list is high traffic, so if you wish to post to the list without
       receiving messages on it, please subscribe and select the _no-mail_
       option for your subscription.

       For details about the mailing list including mailing-list specific
       FAQ (for example, what if you're subscribed but still can't post),
       please see http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html.

     * _Did my post appear on the mailing list? (Or, why didn't my post
       appear on the mailing list?)_

       See the http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html web page for
       help debugging mailing list problems.

     * _What if I have a question that's not answered here?_

       If you've checked the installation problems and bug fixes web page
       (http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html) and there's no
       answer to your question, you may want to file a bug report or post
       a question to the ns-user's mailing list.

       First, you should check the archive of the list at
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html. Your question may
       already be answered there.

       If not, you can post a bug report using the web form at
       http://www.isi.edu/cgi-bin/nsnam/reportbug.cgi.

       If your question is NOT about ns implementation bugs, you may wish
       to post to the list. First you should subscribe. Subscription
       instructions are at http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html.

       _Please note that mail sent to the list is publicly distributed
       and archived. _If you have concerns about your message being made
       public (spam harvesting of your address), please consider that
       _before_ posting. We cannot remove messages from reciepient's
       mailboxes or the public archive after they're posted.

       When posting bug reports, please _always_ include information
       including at least (the bug report form includes spaces for
       these):
          + what version of ns you're using,
          + what operating system you're running on (not just Linux or
            Solaris, but RedHat version 7.0 or Solaris 2.4---send us the
            output of "uname -a"),
          + what specific behavior you see (if ns doesn't compile, what's
            the specific error; if TCP does something strange, what
            exactly did it do [send a pointer to a packet trace]),
          + what behavior you expected to see (if ns doesn't compile this
            is obvious, but if TCP does something strange, why is it
            strange, where is the TCP spec violated?),
          + pointers to your script detailed output files,
          + a statement that "yes, I've read the FAQ, ns-problems page,
            and manual and I couldn't find the answer there" (or a
            statement about why you didn't do that yet :-)

       Soo-Hyun Choi observed from posts to the list: _Sometimes, I see
       this list is filled with the questions with: 1) asked many times
       before 2) hardly understandable what this guy is asking 3) too
       easy to find an answer over a few clicks over the Internet 4)
       soliciting to do their homework in a simple way by asking in this
       list 5) easily seekable an answer by contributing a couple of
       hours of reading the ns-manual 6) etc, etc. _

       _As many of us in this list are doing an advanced degree, it would
       be suggested to read the following article in order to raise a
       useful/meaningful question in a smart way.
       http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html _

       This is _very_ good advice, since asking the Right Question is
       very likely to get a good/helpful answer, while asking a question
       poorly. For example, think about how you would answer these two
       questions: _"Ns doesn't work for me, it crashes. Help."_ as
       compared to _"I get a segmentation fault when running test script
       test-suite-webcache on Mandrake 10 Linux. The backtrace is on my
       web page at www.someu.edu/~someone. It looks like it passes in the
       on-line test suites, but it fails for me. Am I doing something
       wrong?_

       A reminder about mailing list etiquette:
          + Please check the web pages and list archives before posting
            your question.
          + Please keep the body of your post to simple ASCII, not HTML.
          + Please do _not_ send large attachments (if what you have is
            bigger than a few kilobytes, put it on a web page and send a
            URL)
          + Before posting a question like "did people see my post" or
            "the list seems down", please check the archives (you can
            answer this question more accurately by checking yourself
            rather than asking).
          + Please don't post subscribe/unsubscribe requests directly to
            the list, use the lists' information page. (see the web page
            mentioned above for details).