For future reference... i have discovered my problem.  It had nothing to do
with the packet header.

When i was dropping packets, in one place in my simulation i didn't have a
return statement... so what would happen is i would clear the packet... but
then carry on through the procedure as if the packet was there... this
resulted in blank packets

example

if(condition){
   drop(p, WHY);
   return;
}

If you dont have that return = problesms!

Thanks for the assistance

Ariel

--
Kind Regards