Serene,
     That really looks like 'awk' code.  Where did you find the code?
In a TCL script?  Was it in something like this:

             exec  awk { $3 / ($5 * $1) }

?

Awk is a programming language (usually just on Linux/Unix) that very
easily allows you to handle data.  It functions on one line of data at a
time and breaks things into columns.  Each column is assigned a variable
name that is used
to refer to that column.  You don't have to declare variables; it is
automatically done.  You can output to a file or to the screen.  You can
run awk separately (i.e. it does NOT have to be contained inside a TCL
script, you can run it at a command prompt).

If you input line of data was:
     4.5    100    22    tcp    9.4532    45    1000    .0054

Then the above line of code you gave would mean:
     (3rd column) / (5th column * 1st column)
Or
     22 / (9.4532 * 4.5)

I hope that helps; it is the best I can do with the limited information
supplied.

--  J