I've designed a routing protocol that works over 802.11 in NS2. I have
used a standard CBR source attached to a UDP agent to simulate traffic
in the network. I find that when I change the CBR packet-size to 1500
from 1000, the number of packets in the system doubles for the same data
rate; so there is fragmentation happening somewhere in the lower layers.
However, I'm unable to find the code segment that handles this
fragmentation in any of the C++ modules. I know that mac-802_3.h defines
an IEEE_8023_MAXFRAME, but I don't see an MTU defined in mac-802_11.h or
mac.h. So I'm curious as to how and where the data packets actually get
fragmented. Is it implemented in mac itself, or in the link/physical
layers? If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be
great.

Thanks in advance,

Dhrubo.

--