Hello,

I am trying to evaluate the performance of a vehicular ad hoc network
(VANET) based protocol over Nakagami-m fading channel using ns-2 simulator.
I came across various recommended parameters, specially when it comes to
setting the "m" value for defining fading severity. Following are my
resources:

*1) "An empirical model for probability of packet reception in vehicular ad
hoc networks", 2009, recommends a Nakagami-m = 3.*

*2) "Broadcast reception rates and effects of priority access in
802.11-based vehicular ad-hoc networks", 2004, recommends the following:*

* Nakagami-m=3, if distance between vehicles are less than 50m.*

* Nakagami-m=1, if distance between vehicles are more than 150m.*

*Nakagami-m=1.5, if distance between vehicles are in between 50m & 150m.*

*3) "IEEE 802.11-based one-hop broadcast communications: understanding
transmission success and failure under different radio propagation
environments", 2006, recommends Nakagami-m = 1, 3 and 5, while emphasizing
on m = 3.*

*4) "A comparative analysis of DSRC and 802.11 over Vehicular Ad hoc
Networks", recommends two scenarios i.e. urban (m=1) and freeway (m=1.5).*

I would like to hear opinion of the research community on which *Nakagami-m*
parameter is the most suitable for evaluating VANETs protocols over *"freeway
(highway) scenarios"*. I am also in search for the suitable corresponding
Nakagami-m fading parameters while using ns-2 simulation platform.

Thanks,
Osama Rehman