yeah, i was thinking how to retrieve all rows in a result set.

thanks

woody

--- On Sat, 5/23/09, Chris Kenworthy <chrisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Chris Kenworthy <chrisk...@gmail.com>
Subject: [nsbasic-ce] Re: SQL WHERE
To: nsbasic...@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, May 23, 2009, 5:53 PM

What do you want to show up as output in this example? You're selecting 'every
field in table namedb', so the msgbox command doesn't understand how to show
all those fields, in potentially more than one record.

If you just want the first field, (firstname,) of the first record, then you
could use code like:

cmd = "select * from namedb where lastname = '" & tbLastName.text & "'"
set r = db.execute (cmd)
val = r(1)(1)
msgbox val

If you want both firstname and lastname, you could change the val line to:
val = r(1)(1) & " " & r(1)(2)

Does this help? I think that you and Woody might have been talking at
cross-purposes, because he was thinking of looping over a large result set,
while you only wanted to pull a few values out of it.

I believe that using a single quote inside your cmd is better SQLite syntax
than escaping a " by doubling it up.