There are a few things to look at:

1. How are you deploying SerialCE.dll to the device? Is it properly
registered?

2. This device stores program files in volatile memory, which loses its
contents when power is lost. The registry is stored in flash memory,
which does not lose its contents. The installer looks only in the
registry to see if the program is installed, and gets the wrong answer.

3. The .exe installer is an executable for the Windows desktop. To
install on the device, you need the .cab file. There is a setting in the
IDE: Tools...Options...Installer which keeps the CAB file around after
compilation finishes. That's the file you need to put on the card.

I hope this helps!