I've noticed that while some controls return "dimensional" properties in Twips
and most expect such properties in Pixels there is a need to determine the
TwipsPerPixel value - which can vary.  However I haven't found a clean way to
get this value from API calls since Output.hDC doesn't exist and nothing seems
to be built into NS Basic/CE (or I've missed it).

According to
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsphone/archive/2009/09/02/widget-anatomy-the-keys-for-a-great-user-experience.aspx
 a rough aproximation can be achieved by dividing the world into 96 DPI and 192
DPI devices.

This would let me do something like:

If Output.Width >= 480 Then
  TwipsPerPixel = 7.5
Else
  TwipsPerPixel = 15
End If

Is this more or less what people are doing?  Is there an alternative?  Have I
missed some general guidelines on Hi DPI device support someplace?