I see this isn't and hasn't been a rare issue though.  I've found 3 articles on
the subject, though none of them supply any code usable from NSB/CE:

http://windowsmobiledn.com/an-mfc-header-bar-with-embeddable-controls/

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/mobile/MFC_HeaderBarControl.aspx

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/mobile/WinCE_HeaderBarControl.aspx

These may all be by the same guy of course.  At least two are.

Too bad somebody good at making ActiveX controls in C++ hasn't wrapped one of
these up for us to use.

For that matter just wrapping up the underlying Toolbar control for us could be
quite handy, though I get the idea that *general-purpose* toolbars are
discouraged in Windows Mobile appications.