I use a tenor sax gig bag with the chanter and drones in hard plastic
cylinders.  But I'd never check them through even if I wasn't allowed
any other cabin luggage -- bag is just big enough to add a pair of
nicks, vest, and shaving kit in case the check-through goes astray.
The external pocket is just big enough to take two of the A5ish music
books.

John Clifford
who travels perhaps too much each year