I've got metal bodies plus cane tongues in my G set, and metal bodies with
plastic tongues in my F set and they both sound fine. Not sure if I could
tell the difference without looking.

-----Original Message-----
From: Colin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:04 PM
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [NSP] Re: Drone reeds: natural verus composite

When Colin Ross refurbished my Hedworth set some years back, he replaced the
original cane reeds with metal body/cane tongue ones and, to be honest, I
have found them far more stable and (I didn't think I would like them as
they were not the "traditional" ones), I actually prefer the sound they
make.
I have had no reason to try anything plastic as these are still playing fine
so I can't comment on those variations
Oh, I don't think they should be making noises like that - or at least mine
never did. I sound as if they are open too much (maybe with the tongues too
thin as well?) but as I am not techie I may be in error. I found no
difference to the amount of air used when they were changed.
Colin Hill