> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I noticed late last night that the passage of music reproduced on the
> bottom left-hand corner of the front cover of the Clough book includes
> pairs of notes with slurs over them and an F# gracenote between the
> final two low Es, which are joined by a tie. How are we to interpret
> these? (assuming that the passage is from a clough manuscript and not
> any old bit of music stuck there for decoration).

Chris:

The cover is entirely made up of items in the Clough collection
"suitcase". However the specific one you refer to is actually an
annotated edition of the NPS tunebook (1936 edition). It was put in
for the bit showing above and to the left of the "Willow Tree" where
Sweet Hesleyside has been noted as "Jack's Fancy".

The markings you see are on Chipchase Reel by TJ Elliott and are part
of the printing, not Clough's annotations.
How you interpret them is up to you - myself, I'd lose the gracenote
in the final tie. The slurs I'd use as an indication to use tenuto,
or barely detached, notes rather than spikier ones - but maybe I
wouldn't put them in those places, don't know, haven't tried it this
week.

I agree with you that some of the markings in the Peacock collection
are directions more appropriate to fiddle or flute, which is why they
were mostly left out in the current edition. It seemed like a good
idea at the time - but there's always a better way of doing things in
retrospect.

Hope this helps
Julia