On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 21:19 +0000, Maureen Davison wrote:
> Great Highland bagpipes haven't been forced into changing form or repertoire
> to become known from North Shields to Nepal, so it's a rather alarming
> notion that NSPs should evolve into something capable of being played in
> orchestras or jazz bands to achieve similar recognition. Surely that would
> destroy the very essence of what attracted us to it in the first place and
> for me, it certainly wasn't to play Stranger on the Shore in preference to
> the Apprentice Lads of Alnwick!

They haven't had to change, but then I'm not sure they've become known
because people love them. Everyone I know thinks they sound awful, and
when I talk about wanting to learn NSP they assume it sounds the same
and start putting their fingers in their ears.

Or maybe that's just a comment on how good they expect me to be...