From: Doc Jones [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 02 November 2006 00:37
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [NSP] Preserving the tradition...a non-traditional approach.

I've been watching the jazz thread a bit.  There seems to be a certain
reluctance to see the NSP being used in venues that are not strictly
traditional.

I would suggest that the best way to preserve the tradition of NSP is to
have them played in as many venues and types of music as possible.

More exposure = more new players.

Take the recent "Riverdance" show that toured in Europe and here in the
USA.  A lot of people poo-pooed it because it was not "traditional Irish
music.  But I for one was exposed to Uilleann piping for the first time
while watching the show on my VCR.  I now own a set of Uillean pipes and
strive to play them in the traditional style.  In fact, it is because of
that exposure and my attachment to Uilleann pipes that I took up the
NSP.   Now I'm the first to agree that Riverdance is poor substitute for
the real IrTrad music but I wonder how many thousands were touched by
the music and began their journeys into IrTrad music from that point.

I would love to see someone turn off the drones and play the NSP with
types of music that have nothing to do with Northumberland.  I'd love to
have thousands of folks watching and saying "What the heck are those
cute little rascals?" .   Invariably they will mostly come home to the
"traditional"  tunes and techniques and in the mean time we've picked up
a lot of new players and enthusiasts.

What a blessing that the violin was "corrupted" to play IrTrad,
bluegrass, blues etc....  I'm sure the Viol d' Gamba players all turned
up their noses as the "fiddlers" debased their traditions by playing new
styles of music.  But then you don't see many Viol d'Gamba players these
days.

I hope we don't cling so tightly to the tradition that we strangle it
into extinction. :)

Cheers,

Patrick
http://irishflutestore.com/