Thanks to all those who have contributed to the discussion so far. It
was far from my intention to upset those from a GHB background who
obviously take the tune so seriously. To me it's just a good tune,
with a rather unsatisfactory printed version in a book mostly used by
starting out nsp-ers, or those learning about the Northumbrian
tradition.I felt I owed it to them to ensure that an approachable and
coherent tune appears in the new edition.

Thanks to you all, I now have 9 versions (including those in Alistair
McCrae's article) and am promised a tenth. As these range from the
C17 to C20, I think I can probably find one suitable for our purpose.
Then when the draft goes out to proofreaders further comments may
ensue.

If anyone wants a doc with nearly all the versions on, let me know.

Cheers
Julia