On 22 Aug 2008, Ormston, Chris wrote:

> I may have imagined this, but I've a feeling GGA was involved in
> George Atkinson's tuition.

Ah. I thought so, but couldn't place where I'd heard it.

> Thanks for getting me going about piping ensembles too - was it
> intentional???

No, it just sort of came out. But let's go with it....

2) More than 3 sets of NSP in
> ensemble starts to sound like one of those kazoo-based Juvenile Jazz
> bands e had in the 1960s

How many sets were on Cut & Dry? Compare and contrast the tracks with
only one or two, versus the ones where more than that were playing,
maybe....

And if you start with a group where most of the sets sound like
kazoos anyway, whether naturally or thanks to their "players", there
isn't a hope.

3) Plaid is bad

or at least (as far as pipers were concerned) a Victorian invention
by the 4th Duke, who wanted to keep up with the MacJones's north of
him in the great tartan craze of the 1820s / 30s.

I don't doubt that some local shepherds did actually use them before
that - I've been told the weave was different in each valley so that
when a frozen corpse was found on the hills in the spring the body
could be identified.

Even then the Duke's piper was / is the only one to whom it was / is
relevant, and the first one of those to use the whole rig out -
blackcock feather and all was Jack Armstrong, piper from 1949-78,
although James Hall came close in the late C19

Traditional? I don't think so.
Expedient on occasion today?  Probably. Enough folk have got them
that I needn't bother. Phew
Used to cover musical deficiency?  You may so, I couldn't possibly
comment!

Julia