Boyden of course is not the last word in research on the history of
   violin playing. I gather from other sources that not all old bows were
   shorter, even though such authorities as Jaap Schroeder continue to
   state that they were. Don't get me wrong, I have the greatest respect
   for Jaap as both a human being and a musician, but he is one of the
   many who cling to ideas that emerged in the early days of the early
   music revival - such as the idea that stringing was generally at a
   (much) lower tension. Any one interested could do worse than czech out
   what Ephraim Segerman has to say here:

   [1]http://www.nrinstruments.demon.co.uk/About.html

   and elsewhere.

   Particularly telling is the statement "The historical information has
   been very useful to some, but most use more modern stringing because
   the traditions of the early-music movement developed before the
   research was done."  (my emphasis)

   Mersenne recommended using a long bow (though doesn't specify how
   long), and I think Boyden himself quotes some authority as saying that
   short bows were for tavern musicians (prost!).

   Certainly, a number of my "baroque bows" - copied from early 18th
   century originals in the Ashmolean collection - are more or less the
   same length as modern bows.

   Maybe the detached style was the string players in turn adapting to the
   articulation of the keyboards.

   And of course, you can detach with a modern bow too.

   chirs