> On 26 Aug 2008, at 10:10, Ormston, Chris wrote:
>
>> Basically, a bunch of influential upper class twits decided
>>   that Northumbrian piping needed to be saved

While this may be true, class in itself is not the main issue, which -
imho - is musical incompetence. This is exemplfied by the bodged and
butchered versions of tunes in the Northumbrian Minstrelsy. It appears
to me that the NM editors and their ilk couldn't get their heads round
the Peacock and Bewick variations and ignorantly assumed they were not
worth bothering with, as Peacock was, well, maybe a nice chap but a
bit of a peasant.