To: "colin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "NSP group" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 5:52 PM
Subject: [NSP] Re: tchuning

As the Oxford Dictionary defines "lug" as a "Projection on an object by which it may be carried, fixed in place, etc" I would have thought the adaptation to ears (as projections on the head) would be fairly common throughout the English speaking world.

Ian

colin wrote:
Isn't that the fellow from Walker's crisps sitting in that boat?
Lugs (or expanded to lug-holes) is a common expression in Liverpool as well (as in "pin back your lug-holes" meaning to listen and pay attention). having Googled a little (as a rest from choyting) it varies from a Scottish word to a cockney one!!!! if it was confined to industrial areas, maybe our roving shipworkers carried it around the country. However, it's also down as from the Shetland Isles (lug=ear) in the Shetland Dictionary. Also claimed by Norfolk with the addition of the word "luggy" as meaning deaf.
Not really the height of either industry or shipbuilding there, I think.
Colin Hill
----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard York" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>