George Atkinson used to attend the NPS meetings when I was there in the early
days and he used to be the only fluent piper that came to our meetings. I
remember him playing Athole Highlanders and the Remember Me hornpipe in a very
clear and articulated style that we knew was what we had to aim for in our
playing no matter how long it took us. Nothing was said about how he did it we
just had to listen and copy his style.

This is a far cry from the present day obsession for teaching the pipes and
getting your milliseconds of separation between your notes as though that was
the only criterion to be aimed for. Yes, let's get separation between notes but
be prepared to slide one note into the other to get the musical shaping plus
the discrete grace note to make up for the lack of dynamic in the instrument
when interpreting tunes and not just playing a succesion of detached notes.

Colin R