Back to those comments of Tom Clough's that resurfaced in the great choyting
debate.

"I could sit hours and hear the worst piper that ever played, if
there is such a thing as a poor Northumbrian small piper. Imagination
has always played a big part in my playing and listening, and it's
wonderful what can be gleaned from any sort of a piper. It's not
really what he does, but what he tries to do; and that little bit of
something adds further to your stock of knowledge if you can manage
what he tried to do. That proves to me that there's not a piping
failure, when the piper is doing his best, as the listener may be
quick to pick up what the piper just misses. That´s been a life long
practice, and I've learned clever things that way from what a lot
have termed mediocrity, but not when it is polished up and finished
properly."

and

"the true art of piping is to create music......It stands to reason
that if two performers of equal ability play, but one instrument is
much more musical than the other, then there is only one just cause,
as it is musical effect that will always determine".

Musical feeling is as important as technique.

John