Hi all,

I fear that Colin R has misunderstood what I was saying. When I said
no criticism, I meant no criticism, whatsoever, at all. The meeting
he has described was not what I intended at all. I am sorry if my
remarks have led to a further deterioration of NPS meetings. This was
not my intention. When I proposed an emphasis on solo playing I
*specifically* wished to avoid those aspects of society meetings
which long-standing society members recall with some angst.

The fact that there was a magnificent total of 9 at the Monday
meeting is testament to those who, like myself, no longer go because,
among other reasons, they do not want their playing criticised in
public, nor do they wish to witness this happening to others.. I
further believe that the role of an MC in NPS meetings should be to
create a supportive atmosphere - and prevent any public criticism.

So, Colin, it seems we are at odds here. I know of no other meeting
where such criticism happens and I cannot see that the conduct of NPS
meetings in Morpeth, in the last 17 years, has done very much to
advance the standard of piping. Over that period, there cannot be
more than a handful of pipers who have attended more meetings than I
have. Throughout my time as a committee member and Vice-Chairman I
sought to make the meetings enjoyable and relevant. If I did not
criticise others it was because I was all to aware of my own
limitations. I now believe that we (and I in particular) were all
barking up the wrong tree.  (is that an allusion?).

If I wish for tuition, advice or criticism I will go to a piper I
respect. As I wish to play solo, I will particularly seek out those
who are successful solo players.  I fully accept that there can be
technically knowledgeable pipers who cannot or do not wish to perform
in a solo capacity, but I believe that standing in front of an
audience and entertaining them is a particular skill. It is closely
related to singing and storytelling. It involves building a
relationship with the audience and this requires that the performer
respects the audience. It is about communication.

Another place to get good criticism is in competition, but here the
individual again has power. Once a piper has passed through the
beginner/novice level and attempted a couple of intermediate
competitions they will get a fair idea of the views and shortcomings
of particular judges and can chose which competitions they enter.

I  believe that most pipers feel that their playing is not as good as
it should be and do not need this fact pointed out to them. they can
measure their playing against their peers, and if the playing of
their peers attracts praise, then this gives them something to aim
for.

Barry