John,

Anthony was describing the dance step, which does sound like tomato soup,
BUT, the -to- is a lead in note and the -ma- is the first beat of the bar.

Tunes which have "infected" the repertoire include the slow waltzes - Sweet
Hesleyside, Rothbury Hills, The Cott etc, (though Winster Gallop's
popularity astounds me too)!  There weren't many slow tunes in the
repertoire before these came along, but there were lots of reels, 3/2s,
6/8s, 9/8s which sound well played with detached fingering. Those tunes were
developed alongside the refinement of the instrument by musicians grounded
in a regional musical dialect, and therefore show off the pipes at their
best.  My concern is that these days many pipers don't really understand
this, or don't want to understand, and will play anything, so the need for
good technique becomes diminished and the tradition ultimately suffers.
It's already happening - there are a number of talented youngsters who made
a promising start, only to be shepherded towards Celtic music and open
fingering.  At the recent NPS concert, which must have been the largest ever
gathering of NSP players, only the London group showcased the old
repertoire.

I don't think we'll get stuck with 100 stock tunes, though.  Some of us
still try to compose in the traditional idiom, including variation sets.  As
for everyone playing in the same way, I recently pointed out that George
Atkinson and Joe Hutton played by the rules, had the same teacher, yet had
different styles, so it's not necessary to break the rules in order to get
variety.

Impolite enough?

Chris