Can anyone please direct me to the source of renaming Jamie Allan as
   Jimmy Allen?
   I have seen these in print;
     * Jamie Allan ( Northumbrian Minstrelsey 1882)
     * Jamie Allen (Cut & Dry Dolly sleeve notes 1976)
     * James Allan (various 18th century sources) and even Jemmy Allen
       (ibid.)

   Apart from NPS publications I can find no other written source for the
   Jimmy Allen version of his name.
   As Jimmy Allen is now used nationally I do hope there is good
   historical reasons for what seems to be an unwarranted and unscholarly
   interference with a personal name.
   Anthony Robb