Excellent post from Dick.
Ever since the stiffening of aging fingers was mentioned, I think  by
Anthony, it has been on my mind, especially now that I'm 65 and am probably
losing some agility in my fingers but not acutely, yet. I have suffered for
years from a bit of  arthritis, affecting one  hip and a tendency to
experience lower back trouble but these ailments are responsive to
well-known common sense behavural therapies. Eg for my stiff hip at least,
riding a bike  just to get around, (ie not particularly for leisure or
sport), is marvellous therapy as well as great for general health and
fitness. And for the lower back- taking care never to spend long periods
sitting  or standing and handling for all the bending I'm going to have to
deal with when I really get started on the garden this spring !
As for fingers I suppose through laziness I've never really performed
exercises consistently such as those Dick advocates but try to play for even
a short time every day and   certainly notice the loss of fingering agility
if not doing so  but I guess this is the case at any age. But the issue is
when can expect this process to really accelerate and be prepared to accept
it.

The ''old guys'' have been mentioned and I'm wondering exactly how old were
Joe Hutton, Willie Taylor and Will Atkinson when they seem to have
experienced some prominence, recording as The Shepherds etc. Were they much
'better' when they were younger?

Also I'm trying to remember the details of story I read recently about the
very well-known musician who at an advanced age has apparently renewed some
of his failed abilities  (pianist, violinist?) and has this been due to some
new therapy,  or surgery...I forget-my brain is  failing earlier than the
fingers (so far) in my encroaching dotage!
Hope others can cast more light on this issue.
Bill