>    if people
>    want to do something genuinely Northumbrian they have a choice of the
>    virtuoso  Clough/Peacock repertoire (akin to Ceol Mohr for me) or the
>    more accessible, but still non-intuitive, Ceol Beag which, for me, is
>    the dance music of north Northumberland.

Is there no convergence? I asked earlier, and no-one has replied,
whether some of the Peacock variation sets might be considered as
Rants - though they don't LOOK like rants because of the written note
values. For example, Chris Ormston and I play Cuckold as part of a
Dashing White Sergeant set after DWS and Jamie Allan, and the dancers
don't fall over (well, not much). Cut & Dry Dolly is a different type
of tune from Morpeth Rant in many ways but it still has that
3-crotchet signature at the end of phrases if you double the written
note values. And what was the Oyster Wife doing?