Good points, both Stephen and Paul.

Interesting point about Tchaikovski: the stringing of the violin in his day
would have been much closer to what is nowadays regarded as "baroque" (all gut
except a simply wound g). Modern synthetic (e.g. obligato), steel (e.g. prim)
or even sophisticatedly wound gut (e.g. eudoxa, oliv) do not remotely resemble
the strings that would have been available in the 19th century. This is of
course not the place to get into a discussion about "modern" or "fake" baroque
(according to some, closer in fact to 19th century stringing) and "real"
baroque.

chirs