From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Greenley, Gordon
Sent: 19 May 2009 10:21
To: julia....@nspipes.co.uk; nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [NSP] Re: New NPS president

I don't normally get involved in these kinds of discussions, as I joined NPS to
enjoy playing the pipes, and I'm pleased that, like Paul, I don't live in the
North East. It seems to me that there are, of course, two other options.

First, why does NPS need a President? In the rules (para 17) the President's
roles are to preside at some meetings, to attend functions, and to take a
continuing interest in the aims and activities. Well, there's already a
Chairman to do the first role, and the other two roles, it seems to me, are
carried out by all NPS members, to a greater or lesser extent. So perhaps the
function of  President is redundant.

Second, if we must have a President why not someone that the majority of
members will have a great amount of respect for, like one of our outstanding
current players (I'm sure a short list would be easy), or someone who has
already demonstrated an outstanding contribution. It seems to me that our last
President was in both these categories. For me this would be preferable to a
politician (and sorry but we can't ignore the current climate), who isn't even
a member, who seemingly isn't associated with members, and has seemingly made
no extra ordinary contribution to piping.

Gordon Greenley