From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Anthony Robb
Sent: 27 May 2009 16:46
To: Dartmouth NPS
Subject: [NSP] Aural tradition

   Hello John
   Many musicians kept books of dots to help them remember tunes. Better
   scholars than me have pointed out that the inadequacies of these
   books/dots in conveying the dialect, lilt, style, whatever you want to
   call it make it imperative that the tunes are passed on along with the
   style, approach etc. aurally.
   Stewart Hardy has very recently produced an excellent work called "The
   Secret of Jigs" which analyses this from a "classical" stand point and
   is well worth a read (even for pipers).
   Let's face it, if it hadn't been for the aural traditions the recent
   discussions re styles and interpretations would not have been so
   warm-blooded!
   As Stewart points out, dots are fine once the syle of the region has
   been studied memorised and then internalised. It is only after these
   fundamentals have been put in place that we can  call ourselves
   traditional musicians and than start to expand repertoire via dots,
   experiment and make the music our own but connected to what has gone
   before.
   Hope this makes sense.
   Regards
   Anthony