Here's the text with a few OCR error:

About the beginning of the seventeenth century madrigals which were almost the
only compositions, in parts, for the Chamber, then cultivated, seem to have
been suddenly supplanted in the favour of byers of Music by a passion for
FANTASIAS of three, four, five or six parts, wholly composed for viols and
other instruments, without vocal assistance. And this passion seems to have
arisen, from the calling in these instruments to reinforce the voice-parts,
with which they played in unison, in the performance of motetti and madrigals,
thence termed concertati. At length, the instrumental performers discovered,
that both the poetry and singing of the times might be spared without any great
loss or injury to the musical effects; as the words, if good, were rendered
unintelligible by fugue, imitation, and multiplicity of parts; and the singing,
being often coarse and out of tune, could be better supplied by their own
performance. Thus vocal Music not only bost its independence, but was almost
totally driven out of society: as the ancient Britons, calling in the Saxons to
assist them in their conflicts with the Picts, were themselves subdued and
forced from their possessions, by too powerful auxiliaries.
I am the better enabled to speak of the instrumental Music of this period, by
being fortunately in possession of several considerable manuscript collections
of fancies, particularly one in six parts, folio, which had been made for the
L'Estrange family, in Norfolk, by the celebrated composer of Charles the
first's reign, Mr. John Jenkins [1592-1678], and collated with other copies,
and corrected flot only by himself, but by six or eight other eminent masters
of the times.
These pieces, which consist more of motets, madrigals and in nomines,
originally designed for voices, than fantasie made expressly for instruments,
were the productions of William Bird, Alfonso Ferrabosco, Sen. and Jun.,
William White, John Ward, Thomas Ravenscroft, William Cranforde, Thomas Lupo,
Giovanni Coprario, and others. The Style would flow appear very dry and
fanciless in spite of the general title of these pieces. Indeed it would be
difficult to select one of them that would afford any other instrument to my
readers, than that of discovering how ingenious and well disposed the byers of
Music, during the former part of the last century, must have been, to extract
pleasure from such productions.
Infinite pains, however, seem to have been taken in collating and correcting
these books; which only proves that however insipid and despicable we may
think their contents, our forefathers were of a different opinion; and, that
contemptible as they flow seem, they were the best which the first musicians of
the age could produce. There is an infancy in every human production, that is
perfectible. The instruments to which these fansies were adapted, were viols of
different sizes, of which it was usual, duririg the last century, for most
musical families to be in possession of a chest, coflsisting of two trebles,
two tenors, and two basses, with six strings upon each, all tuned alike, by
4ths and 3rds, and the necks fretted
The passages given to these several instruments, at this time, discover no
kifid of knowiedge of the expressive power of the bow; and even Orl. Gibbons,
who composed so webb for voices in the Church, seems very little superior to
his contemporaries in his productions for instruments. The subjects of Orlando
Gibbofis's madrigals are so simple and unmarked, that if they were flow to be
executed by instruments alone, they would afford very little pleasure to the
greatest friends of his productions, and those of the same period. At the time
they were published, however, there was nothing better with which to compare
them, and the best Music which good ears can obtain, is always delightful, tilb
better is produced. Air, accent, grace, and expression, were flow equally
unknown to the composer, performer, and hearer; and whatever notes of one
instrument were in harmony with another, were weicome to the player, provided
he found himself honoured from time to time with a share of the subject, or
principal melody; which happening more frequently in canons, and fugues, than
in any other species of composition, contributed to keep them so long in favour
with performers of limited powers, however tiresome they may have been to the
hearers, when constructed on dull and barren themes.
Music is so much a work of art, study, exercise, and experience, that every
style must be best treated, even by men of the greatest genius, in proportion
to the attention and labour they bestow on that particular species of
composition. Orlando Gibbons, who appears to such advantage as a Church
composer, is utterly cofltemptible in his productions for instrumefits, of
whose powers he was ignorant. Indeed all Instrumental Music, but that of the
organ, seems to have been in a very rude state at this time throughout Europe;
and, if we except the fugues of Frescobaldi, all the music, even for keyed
instruments, is dry, difficult, unaccented, and insipid.
Music So Long in Favour with Performers of Limited Powers
>From A General Histoiy of Music Dr Charles Burney 1789
Music in England During the XVII Century
Dr Charles Burney A General Histoiy of Music 1789, Vol 2 p 283-285 Dover
Publications, New York 1957.