> > >  I'm still bashing away at Peacock, and only recently took note of the
> > >  metronome settings in the recent edition, some of which are, to me,
> > >  stratospherically fast.

I have never taken note of them so can't comment. What I eventually
took note of was the remark of Thomas Bewick quoted in the earlier NPS
facsimile reprint (my copy is now falling apart but treasured) - "with
his old tunes, his lilts, his pauses, and his variations, I was always
excessively pleased". Somewhere else it is written that Peacock was
the best player of his day, though not a scientific performer (correct
me if needed).

I strongly suspect that there is a literal meaning to 'pauses' here;
in the slower tunes based on song airs, imitate what a singer does
with the last note of a line by holding the last note of a phrase.
This requires a sensitivity to music beyond reading the dots, and is
an aspect of expression (not to be confused with self-expression). It
can be overdone of course, but an absence of passion - or any
emotional involvement - will leave us cold.

For the faster tunes I don't think there is necessarily an optimum
speed for a Peacock tune or anything else, it depends on the occasion,
the company, the available 'juice' (NOT the liquid kind). Richard Y
mentioned All The Niight I Lay With Jockey - I'd recommend you also
listen to Chris Ormston's recording.

I play this tune on Border pipes (not NSP) and one thing I noticed
recently was how the arpeggios in the last strain - which I previously
thought of as mere padding - can come alive if the initial note of
four is held as long as possible without making the next three
impossible - does this work for any NSP players here? There's also the
Clough procedure, which Chris does in his repeat, of filling out the
arpeggio, B/c/dgd rather than Bcgd. There are other ways of varying
what appears to be the most boring part of the tune, and there are
other versions of this (and other Peacock) tunes which cast more
light, much needed in the absence of a living culture of variation
playing.

(A word of caution - this tune has been misunderstood by some players
who incomprehensibly treat it as an A minor tune and play it with
inappropriate drone tuning, a recommendation thankfully not repeated
in the 1999 edition.)