Can I just say, with particular reference to Richard's last post, that I am in no way claiming any superiority for the classically-trained position. Reading my post again, it looks a bit as if I am. I enormously admire all those who play mostly by ear. I think on the whole they are better musicians than me - but I just wanted to defend those of us who play best from the written music against the charge of alway and inevitably playing without any life and expression. Communication with listeners is always best without the music-stand in the way, of course. Philip