Thank-you for the clarification fellows.

   I've been sending British-made instruments back to GB for years. I
   always write "instrument manufactured in England returning to England"
   on the customs form and have never had anyone have to pay duty.  I
   guess ignorance is bliss.

   Best that folks not assume they'll continue to be the beneficiaries of
   my dumb luck. :)

   I think it's cranky of the Britts to charge their own citizens customs
   on stuff made by their own citizens. You guys should throw some tea
   into a harbor. It worked wonders for us. ;0)
   Doc
   On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Richard Evans