From: "Richard Shuttleworth" <rshuttlewo...@sympatico.ca>
Date: August 13, 2009 4:51:59 PM EDT
To: <neiltaver...@btinternet.com>, <rosspi...@aol.com>, "colin" <cwh...@santa-fe.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc: <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: [NSP] Re: Northumbria Pipe Course 11-16 October - Places available

Dear Colin Hill,

The NSP dartmouth list has nothing to do with the Northumbrian Pipers' Society other than the fact that many Society members post to this list. It is run out of Dartmouth College by a very patient and long-suffering chap called Wayne. Anyone can join the list and post any piping relevant topic that they feel would be of interest to other list members.

Richard

Colin (Hill) wrote:

Can someone please enlighten me on something as I am obviously too old and doddering to understand. Is this particular list an "open" list for matters pertaining to piping in general or only as it concerns the Society? For the life of me, I can't see the problem with self-advertising provided that it is to do with piping. Presumably, If I had heard of a piping course and then written a post "hey pipers, there's a course being held at...................". That would be piping news surely and quite acceptable? Please explain the difference to me between a course held by the Society and one held by an individual as far as this (open) list is concerned (if it is open). Many people on this list are not members of the Society (hence the opening of the "dirty laundry" alternative list). Please inform us as to whether this list is to discuss piping in all it's aspects or only those aspects that the Society have a hand in.
I think we need this clarification.
If it is, indeed, NOT an open list but one being run for and on behalf of the Society, I think that needs pointing out notwithstanding the fact that the Society "runs" it and benefits from it (by spreading the word that it exists). If it IS a Society bases list only, maybe a change of name should be considered. Again, if it's an open list, maybe we shouldn't have details of the Society's contributions either (to make it fair).
You can't have it both ways.
An open list or a NPS list?
That would, I think, help many of us to understand what is acceptable and what is not.
If it IS a specific NPS list, maybe it should be restricted to members.
Maybe a truly open list (such as the English Bagpipes list on Yahoo) should be started as an alternative to those who wish to discuss ALL aspects of piping and where the news of a course on piping would be accepted as news regardless of who was running it?

Colin Hill
(Life Member of NPS since around 1972/3)
----- Original Message ----- From: <rosspi...@aol.com>