To: <john.da...@hmhpub.com>
Cc: <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2009 11:53 AM
Subject: [NSP] Re: ivory pipe tone

Dear John,
Julia has responded re a blind test I carried out with blackwood and ivory which was inconclusive but depended on treating the blackwood or any other hardwood with impregnated oil to increase the density to match as far as possible the density of the ivory. It never has the same effect as the ivory has on the tone which is rich in harmonics that have been absorbed by the softer wood even if it has been impregnated. The nearest equivalent in tone to ivory is acetal which seems to have the same effect in not absorbing high harmonics so giving a rich clear and loud tone. Having said that it is worthwhile trying various woods (the sorts that would make good xylophones) that have been treated with oil to see what effect is produced that may match the ivory or be preferred. That would save on elephants.
Colin R