To: "nsp" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 2:51 AM
Subject: [NSP] Respringing a key

One of the springs on my chanter has become very weak and is, I fear,
about to break. I have the choice of returning it to the maker for
respringing (a trans Atlantic posting job), getting a maker here in the
US to do it (a couple of options - more if I consider other local folk
woodwind makers) or trying to do it myself.........

In considering doing it myself I have "Cocks and Bryan" and Mike
Nelson's website as guides but both are aimed at making keys not
refitting them. Mine is chrome plated and I don't particularly want to
drill through to put a new rivet in.  How do people usually do it....is
it feasible to  use the stub of the original rivet to mount the spring?

Any thoughts and advice welcome

Ian
www.bagpipediscs.com