Since hitting send on my recent message a memory has come into my mind......

In the early 1980s I applied to come to Newcastle to do teacher training. At the interview the two staff members perused my application and one spotted that I played the Northumbrian pipes. "We had a chap apply once who only wanted to come to Newcastle for piping not to be a teacher at all...." he said giving me a look. I could only reply that my intentions were honest but that I couldn't deny that being in the heart of Northumbrian piping country was a bonus. The other interviewer chipped in that they had had another student who was a piper. "No" said the first "you are thinking of the fellow who played flute - his girlfriend played pipes". All of a sudden the interview became a discussion between the interviewers about a couple of students and who had played what, with me looking on from the outside! Eventually I said "Do you mean Anthony and Carol Robb - the both play pipes and she plays the flute". "Yes, that them" they replied and we got back to the interview.

I got the place but other events took over and I never took it up......how different life may have been.

Ian