For information to folk who may have thought that the 'Ray' you mention was Sloan it was in fact my wife Ray Fisher the singer who took up the post of Secretary of the NPS.in the early days : the 'Mrs Roff' of Ian's Route to Piping. This all shows how we all refer back to certain individuals as being important in the development of our interest in piping and how they all deservt to be given recognition for the part they have played. They are all cogs in the piping machine and does anyone deserve to be called the main spring.
Colin R

-----Original Message-----
From: colin <cwh...@santa-fe.freeserve.co.uk>
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Sent: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 0:57
Subject: [NSP] Re: Route to piping

Oh dear, I feel really boring now.
I had always like he sound of the Irish pipes but, in 1968, I heard Billy Pigg playing the NSP on the Corries TV show and was hooked. I found a copy of the (vinyl) Wild Hills record and was even more determined to learn to play them.
There was a convenient address on the LP cover (yes, NPS c/o Ray.
I contacted them and they put me in touch with Bill Hedworth and I had a simple set very quickly as he was just completing one. He sent me the set (all of £36 - a huge sum back in 1972) together with his copy of how to play them (I forget the author but I copied it out longhand - no computers then or scanners and photocopiers were expensive) and started "playing".  Unfortunately the reed had come a little loose so there was a little correspondence on how to re-seat it and, of course, the inevitable "dangling chanter" happened and he sent me a new reed.  I soon needed something better so he made me a 7 key chanter and added and extra drone (although he forgot to drill the hole under the metal bit - I had to do that).
I attempted to play it for the next 20-odd years with mixed results .
I also joined the NPS with a life membership (another huge sum in those days).  I made the effort to get to the next AGM and was a little overpowered by those there - Colin Ross, Forster Charlton and others and finally realised who Ray was as well.  I also heard Colin playing the border pipes (well, he was just having a try at them) - wow. what a sound.  For the millennium, I sent it back to Colin R who altered the holes a wee bit and made a new reed.
They played beautifully - so it wasn't me after all.
Alas, age caught up with me so I can't play much now (bad joints and a hernia that doesn't like getting pushed from side to side).  If the NPS hadn't existed, I doubt I would ever have played them at all so yes, I'm one who owes them a lot.  I have never met or played with another piper in my life (other than seen three play at a folk club and maybe passed a few comments with them - one who I can't remember, Alistair Anderson and Gerry Murphy - when I saw Colin T with the HLR, he didn't play them) and I'm too old and feeble to make it to Manchester now to the local meetings.
Thanks NPS. You gave me a lot of enjoyment for over 30 years.

Colin Hill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dally, John" <john.da...@hmhpub.com>  To: "Dally, John" <john.da...@hmhpub.com>; "'Ian Lawther'" <irlawt...@comcast.net>