From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of Paul Gretton
Sent: 01 November 2009 19:20
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [NSP] Re: [BULK] Re: [nsp] file

Anthony Robb wrote:

>>>dot reading was an extremely rare skill at the time

If you mean specifically among players of the NSP (or the fiddle, then
perhaps - I wouldn't know.

But if you mean in general, then that is a far too sweeping statement.
Musical literacy was my no means uncommon, even among the working class. You
are ignoring the influence of the Sunday school system, particularly among
Nonconformists, and the self-improvement movement among the so-called
"better" working class, with the miners being among the leaders. Large
numbers of "ordinary" people could read music - witness the great Handel
festivals and organisations like the Huddersfield Choral Society.

Cheers,

Paul Gretton