My guess is that it may have been Jimmy Pallister, a fiddle player who lived at
Close House, Cambo. He was a member of Alnwick Pipers' Society in the late
1970s (where I came across him, but can't say I knew him well), and previously
had been a member of the Alnwick branch of NPS.

There are recordings of him playing three or four tracks on 'Morpeth Rant' - he
was a 'canny hand', as my dad would say. I'll ask Dad and see what he can
remember of him.

Not sure about the dam, though... Fontburn was the nearest to Cambo but it was
completed earlier than 1949.

Best wishes
Margaret

-- Dru Brooke-Taylor wrote :
I was at a family party last weekend, where I played. As soon as he saw
my pipes, cousin of mine said he'd seen and heard pipes before.

Somewhere around 1949, his father was working away from home on the
construction of a dam and he went up to stay there. He told me that he
stayed at Cambo with a family called Pallister and that the head of the
family was a piper. He played a large number of instruments, regularly,
probably more than one evening a week. He told my cousin that he could
pick up most instruments fairly quickly, sometimes in a matter of
minutes.

I agreed with him that I'd see if I could find out a bit more for him.
So, I know this is 60 years ago, but does anyone know anything about a
piper and player of other instruments from Cambo called Pallister? Did
anyone out here meet him personally, remember him or know anything more
about his life?

As a matter of interest also, does anyone know what dam was being built
around 1949?

This message was sent on behalf of marga...@wyngarth7.fsnet.co.uk at
openSubscriber.com
http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu/12995222.html