Well spotted Francis.  Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Adding to Alistair Anderson's conjectures on the development of the bagpipes,
the most convincing story I have heard is that when the Crusaders travelled to
what has been described as 'The Holy Land', they discovered people playing
'pipes' from air in 'bags'. They took this idea home and tried putting the
native instruments of their region into bags to see what happened. This would
neatly account for the widespread distribution of bagpipes in Europe and the
variety of forms.

Any thoughts?

Barry

PS Happy New Year