Anthony Robb skrev:
   Yes, I caught it too.
   Very heart cockle-warming at this time of year!
   Further to Alistair's contribution, many years ago I used to provide
   piping illutrations when Colin Ross did illustrated talks on the pipes.
   If memory serves I think he had a slide of a 6 inch bronze of a Roman
   bagpiper found at Richborough Castle in Kent. Has anyone else seen or
   heard of it??
I tried ealier to send a short comment to the group, but I cannot see it on my computer, so now I try this way using the adresses from Robb's note:

The "Oxford History of Music" makes mention of the first documented bagpipe being found on a Hittite slab at Eyuk. This sculptured bagpipe has been dated to 1,000 B.C. The Roman bagpipes or "tibia utricularis" are represented on coins. Roman coins have been found showing a person thougt to be Nero playing the bagpipe (not the fiddle !) I think that we can conclude that earliest history of the bagpipe stretches far back in the darkest of history somewhere in Asia Minor.

with best wishes of a peaceful and prosperous new year to ye all
from
Bo Albrechtsen,
Denmark